Wednesday, March 31, 2010

WHEN WILL YOU STOP AND SMELL THE ROSES? (to Dave Bedaña)

By Iko's Mom
(This was published in an account paper last October 14, 2009)

I was with my friend Dave a few days back and we were talking about goals and actions. He is but 25 and yet he has proven himself worthy to be a leader at a very young age. He is quite restless though, it seems that he belongs to a family of over-achievers hence at a very young age he also wants to prove himself to his parents, who do expect a lot from him. The pressure is all but consuming.

That night I thought of my son who is just turning 2 years and I became worried, hence I am now writing him a letter as early as now to remind him of things that matter.

Dear Ulrich,

Before I say anything else I would like to say “I LOVE YOU, with all my heart, my soul , my life.”

I am writing just to explain some things that I would like you to consider as you go through your life’s journey.

My dear baby, life is like riding a bus on your way to a certain place. You have your backpack ready, your allowance, your skills and your wit. As you travel there are times when the bus will stay on their designated stops. As you travel anak, I would like you to stare at the window and marvel on the beautiful things that you will see. The smell of grass, the raindrop on the window pane, the colors of the places and even the beautiful smile on the faces of the people you meet. I would like you to make stops.

Please do not hurry on my account. I would like you to set your goals in life but not set your life on your goals.

I would like you to stop on bus stops, and see what every stop has to offer that will enrich your life, your heart, and your being. I don’t want you posed in pictures but not knowing the story of each one. If you need to stay a little longer, you may take a walk and just get another bus ride (they say opportunity only knocks once, it’s not true son, opportunity only knocks once on your door if you do not deserve it, that is why most of them grab it as soon as it knocks and never let go).

You on the other hand I would like to have choices. I would like you to be happy in simple things. I would like you to see the beauty of life . Take it slowly, you will only live once, that is why I want to make sure that you will not ride a bus and never stop.

Stop on bus stops and do take a walk, slow down. Breathe deeply and smell the grass, shake hands with people, share stories with them, smile with them, . Take a walk through the rain, you have enough clothes in your backpack.

The next day after a good rest, watch the sunrise in all its glory and taste how delicious your coffee is. You need not be rushing your way to your goal when you have good friends with you and good health. You should learn when to stop. Anak, there is no sense in reaching your goal if you have not live your life at all.

So when you find yourself in a bus, breaking speed to reach your goal. Please do remember me asking this question: “WHEN WILL YOU STOP TO SMELL THE ROSES?” They might fade you know, and when you realize you want to, they already wilted to nothingness and all but lost in your past.


Love you always,
MOMMY

No comments:

Post a Comment